Filipinos love this traditional sweet and savory peanut stew. In this version of Kare-Kare, enjoy a plate of assorted veggies like eggplants and green beans drizzled with creamy peanut sauce. Don’t forget to serve shrimp paste or bagoong on the side for an added salty taste!
Makes 4-6 servings
3 pcs Small eggplants
1 bundle Green beans (sitaw)
4 cups Water
1 Tbsp Salt
1 pc Small banana heart
¼ cup Annatto oil
8 cloves Garlic
½ cup Shrimp paste (bagoong)
¼ cup Glutinous rice flour
2 Onions, chopped
1 tsp Whole black peppercorns
1 cup Dry roasted peanuts
1 tsp Salt
- In a dry skillet, toast the glutinous rice until golden brown. Let cool, place in a coffee grinder, and grind into a thin powder. Set aside.
- In a dry skillet or oven, toast the peanuts and add into the food processor. Grind until creamy in texture. Set aside.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Cut the eggplants lengthwise leaving the stems intact. Cut the green beans (sitaw) into 2 inch lengths. Bundle about 6 to 8 pcs each of the beans together and tie using blanched spring onions.
- In a bowl, pour water and place about a tablespoon of salt. Peel the outer layers of the banana heart until you reach the tender part. Cut the banana heart into four equal pieces and immediately soak the pieces in water to prevent it from discoloring.
- In a separate pot, boil about 2 liters of water with two tablespoons salt. Once boiling, start cooking the green beans until cooked. Scoop out and save the salted water. Add the eggplants and banana heart and simmer until cooked. Scoop out and let drain in a colander.
- Heat annatto oil over a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and the bagoong.
- Add the toasted rice and the creamy peanut mixture and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add 4 cups of beef broth and bring to a boil. Lower your fire and simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the cooked vegetables into the simmering kare-kare sauce and serve with shrimp paste on the side.
Recipe by Chef Melissa Sison-Oreta
Photographed by Zac Moran