You’ll love langka more with this recipe! This pulled jackfruit sandwich is the perfect alternative for pulled pork if you want to be on healthy side for 2019.
VEGAN PULLED “PORK” JACKFRUIT SANDWICH
Recipe by Chef Barni Alejandro-Rennebeck
Photographed by Floyd Jhocson of Studio 100
Makes 5 servings
½ kilo Unripe jackfruit (langka), seeded and sliced
2 Tbsps Coconut sugar
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Paprika
½ tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground black pepper
¼ cup Olive oil
1 cup Store-bought American-style barbecue sauce
5 Hamburger buns (preferably whole-wheat)
10 Lettuce leaves
- Cook the langka in boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and squeeze the langka with your hands to remove the excess water. Pat dry with a clean kitchen towel and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the langka with coconut sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, and ground black pepper.
- In a non-stick casserole, heat two tablespoons of oil. Sauté the langka for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to brown. Add the barbecue sauce and simmer for five minutes.
- Turn off the heat and shred the langka using two forks.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick skillet. Sauté the shredded langka mixture for five minutes or until slightly toasted.
- Toast hamburger buns. Fill each hamburger bun with 1⁄3 cup of Vegan Pulled “Pork” Jackfruit and a lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.