It’s so easy to do this fast food favorite in the comforts of your own kitchen. When preparing your Beef Pepper Rice, use good-quality beef cuts to make this dish superb with every sizzle. You can even spruce it up with other protein like pork tenderloin or chicken thigh if you prefer. Other add-ons you can also use include frozen vegetables like (peas and carrots), mushrooms, and baby spinach!
BEEF PEPPER FRIED RICE
Makes 4-5 servings
½ kilo Good quality beef sirloin or tenderloin, sliced into strips
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
2 Tbsps Butter, divided
1 cup Canned corn kernels, drained
3 Tbsps Vegetable oil
4 cloves Garlic, finely minced
2 cups Cooked rice (preferable day-old rice)
Liquid seasoning, to season
Chopped spring onions, for garnish
1. Season beef generously with salt and pepper then set aside.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Place a tablespoon of butter and toss in the corn. Cook until heated through. Set aside and keep warm.
3. In the same pan, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and sauté garlic until light golden brown. Add cooked rice and season with salt. Mix until heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
4. Add the remaining oil in the same pan and bring to high heat. Fry beef strips in batches, cooking for about 3-5 minutes until done. Season with liquid seasoning while frying.
5. To assemble, invert a cup of fried rice on a large plate or sizzling plate and arrange the cooked beef strips around it. Top with warm corn kernels and remaining tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions and additional ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Note: If meat is not tender enough, add ½-1 cup water to the beef, cover pan, and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour until beef is tender.
Recipe by Idda Aguilar
Photographed by Floyd Jhocson of Studio 100
Want other rice/meat recipes? Click on the recipes below:
Adobong Kangkong Fried Rice with Chicharon
The Cooking with an Appetite: Breakfast, Brunch, Merienda, and Midnight Snack cookbook is now available in leading bookstores for only P495.