Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we decided to concoct this supreme sandwich that’s both satisfyingly sweet and savory in every bite. Made with country-style ham, local kesong puti and thick slices of bread, make your mornings lovelier with a meal that’s worth waking up to.
HAM AND KESONG PUTI FRENCH TOAST SANDWICH
Makes 4 servings
2 Large eggs
¼ cup Whole milk
Dash of ground cinnamon
8 Thick slices of sandwich bread
2 Tbsps Mayonnaise
2 Tbsps Mustard
4 slices Country-style ham
8 slices Kesong puti
4 Tbsps Butter
4 Tbsps Vegetable oil
Maple syrup, for drizzling
1. Beat the eggs and milk lightly in a bowl. Add the ground cinnamon and set aside.
2. To prepare the sandwiches, spread half a tablespoon of mayonnaise on one slice of bread and half a tablespoon of mustard on another. Repeat procedure for the other six slices of bread.
3. To assemble, arrange the ham and two slices of kesong puti on one slice, and then cover with the other slice.
4. In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, melt a tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
5. Once hot, dip each sandwich in the egg and milk mixture, making sure to soak both sides. Gently place in the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat until all sandwiches are done. Transfer sandwiches to plates and drizzle with maple syrup on top.
SERVING TIP: For a sweet-savory indulgence, drizzle French Toast with some maple syrup or dust with powdered sugar before serving
Are sandwiches your thing?
Recipe by Idda Aguilar
Photographed by Ron Mendoza of Studio 100