Cast a spell on your boring old hot dogs by turning them into Mummified Franks. With a bit of imagination and only four ingredients, these scary-looking sausages are not that hard to do and are a delight to make with the little ones. Make them spookier by serving them with ketchup for a bloody good time!
Makes 12 pieces
12 German franks
1 pack Store-bought puff pastry
1 Egg yolk
1-2 Tbsps Milk
- Line a jelly roll pan with greaseproof baking paper. Pat dry the German franks with a sheet of paper towel. Set aside.
- Lay the puff pastry down on a clean flat surface dusted with flour. Cut the puff pastry into 13 – 15 strips and wrap them around each German frank until they resemble mummy bandages.
- Place the mummy dogs on the prepared jelly roll pan and bake for ten minutes in a 400⁰F preheated oven.
- While baking, mix an egg yolk with 1-2 Tbsps of milk. Mix well.
- After ten minutes, remove the mummy dogs from the oven and brush it over with some egg wash. Bake them again for another five minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Place two whole black pepper corns on one end of the mummy dog to give it two eyes. Serve with banana or tomato catsup.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Maya Kitchen
Whatever season drives you to whip up a special feast, The Maya Kitchen is your handy helping hand in creating new, delicious recipes. For more easy and impressive meals, check out The Maya Kitchen’s basic cooking and baking classes or log on to www.themayakitchen.com for more menu ideas.