Every day should be longganisa day with this salty pasta dish!
Skip the rice and toss in some pasta for this breakfast dish that’ll surely make your mornings all the better. Salted egg and longganisa make for some good toppings on pasta with a rich and flavorful sauce made of olive oil, cane vinegar, tomatoes, and garlic – for that classic Filipino taste. If you want, add in a fried egg and mix in that gooey yolk to the sauce!
Longganisa and Salted Egg Pasta
Makes 3-4 servings
6-8 Vigan longganisa
2 Tbsps Water
¼ cup Olive oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Onion, diced
1 Tomato, diced
1 tsp Cane vinegar
*Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
¼ kilo Spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions,
reserve pasta water
½ cup Reserved pasta water
2 Salted eggs, roughly chopped
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, place the longganisa in water and cover to steam for 2-3 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add olive oil and prick each longganisa with a fork, letting the fat ooze out. Carefully crumble with a knife and continue cooking until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic, onions, and tomatoes. Add the cooked longganisa bits and continue sautéing.
- Add the vinegar and a splash of reserved pasta water and stir to mix. Simmer for 1-2 minutes so that all the flavors are incorporated. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss until mixed through. If pasta seems too dry, add pasta water in increments and toss to mix. Adjust seasoning before removing from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with salted eggs. Serve hot.