Wake up the troops after a fun sleepover with this delicious deep dish omelette loaded with spinach and bacon. Serve it with pieces of whole wheat toast or with cauliflower rice to make it a holistic, healthy morning meal. If you feel like substituting bacon with pancetta or ham feel free to do so. You can also replace the spinach with kale or even watercress depending on your mood.
BACON AND SPINACH FRITTATA
Makes 6 servings
1 cup Canadian bacon, fat trimmed, chopped
2 Tbsps Olive oil
½ cup Low-fat milk
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground black pepper
½ cup Chopped onions
2 Tbsps Chopped garlic
½ cup Chopped green bell peppers
½ cup Chopped tomatoes
4 cups Fresh spinach leaves, shredded
¼ cup Chopped parsley
1. In an oven-safe and non-stick frying pan, cook the bacon in a tablespoon of olive oil until golden brown and crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs with milk in a large bowl and season with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat the remaining oil and sauté the onions, garlic, green bell peppers, and tomatoes until soft. Mix in the cooked bacon.
4. Add the spinach and parsley then cook just until spinach turns bright green.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Stir gently with a rubber spatula and cook on low heat until the eggs are set on the bottom but not fully cooked on top.
6. Place the pan in the oven and bake at 250°F for 20 minutes or until the frittata is cooked all the way through.
7. Let the frittata cool slightly before slicing into six wedges. Serve warm.
Recipe by Chef Barni Alejandro-Rennebeck
Photographed by Floyd Jhocson of Studio 100
These breakfast dishes are worth waking up to:
The Cooking with an Appetite: Breakfast, Brunch, Merienda, and Midnight Snack cookbook is now available in leading bookstores for only P495.