Homemade mozzarella sticks are the best. That’s because you can make and eat as much as you want. It’s the perfect go-to snack for kids and adults, plus it’s so easy to do. We love our mozzy sticks on the crispy side that’s why our version calls for the use of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) plus an extra layer of lumpia wrapper. We also added a bit of heat in the marinara dip so every bite would be more appetizing.
CRISPY MOZZARELLA STICKS
Makes 4-5 servings
200-300 grams Mozzarella cheese
16 pcs Lumpia wrappers
Egg wash (2 eggs + 2 Tbsps whole milk)
½ cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
2 cups Cooking oil
SPICY MARINARA DIP
¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
4-5 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Large onion, chopped
1-2 Bird’s eye chili, chopped
⅛ tsp Dried basil
⅛ tsp Dried oregano
1 Chicken broth cube
1 (400g) can Diced tomatoes
⅛ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
4-5 Basil leaves
1. Cut up mozzarella into sticks, about 1-centimeter thick. Carefully wrap the pieces of mozzarella in lumpia wrapper, sealing edges with dabs of water. Do this with the rest of the mozzarella sticks.
2. Dip rolled cheese sticks in all-purpose flour, egg wash, and Japanese breadcrumbs. Keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
3. Meanwhile, prepare marinara dip. In a saucepot, heat olive oil. Sauté garlic and onions until soft and fragrant.
4. Stir in chopped chilies, dried basil, and dried oregano. Crush chicken broth cube until dissolved. Mix in diced tomatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season the sauce with freshly ground black pepper. Add fresh basil leaves to the sauce then remove from heat. Keep warm.
5. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan. Deep fry mozzarella sticks until golden brown. Transfer fried mozzarella sticks on plate line with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve mozzarella sticks with marinara dip.
These cheesy bites are so addicting:
Recipe by Nina Daza-Puyat
Photographed by Ron Mendoza