Getting up would be so much easier when you’ve got an exciting breakfast to wake up to. We do understand if breakfast can be such a chore especially when you’ve got to cook and clean with a lot of pans even before the clock says you need to go out the door already. That’s why we’re sharing this amazing and fast cooking chicken oats caldo, that’s not only as delicious as mom’s arroz caldo but light and flavorful, as well.
CHICKEN OATS CALDO WITH MALUNGGAY
Makes 4 servings
2 Tbsps Refined coconut oil
100g Skinless chicken breast fillet, sliced into small strips
¼ cup Chopped onions
1 Tbsp Chopped garlic
1 Tbsp Chopped ginger
¼ cup Minced carrots
4 cups Chicken broth
1 Tbsp Fish sauce
1 cup Old fashioned rolled oats
½ cup Malunggay leaves
Fried garlic, for garnish
Chopped spring onions, for garnish
1. In a non-stick casserole, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil. Sauté the chicken until cooked, about two minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. In the same casserole, heat the remaining oil. Sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, and carrots.
3. Add the chicken broth, fish sauce, and rolled oats. Simmer until the oats are tender, about ten minutes. If the consistency is too thick, add more broth or water.
4. Add the cooked chicken and malunggay leaves. Simmer just until the leaves turn bright green.
5. Transfer to individual bowls and garnish with fried garlic and chopped spring onions Serve hot with a slice of calamansi.
Recipe by Chef Barni Alejandro-Rennebeck
Photographed by Floyd Jhocson of Studio 100
Mornings are made better with these light and easy breakfast recipes: