This Chicken Coconut Soup gets its appeal from the heady aromatics and rich coconut milk used to flavor the broth. As a cooking tip, let the soup simmer for a longer period so that the flavors develop even further. You can even pile on the heat with your choice of chili to balance the creaminess of the broth.
CHICKEN COCONUT SOUP
Makes 4-5 servings
1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
200g Boneless chicken thighs, cubed
Salt and ground white pepper
3 thumb-sized pcs Galangal or Thai ginger, peeled and sliced
4 Kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
2 stalks Lemongrass, crushed
2 cups Coconut milk
2 ½ cups Water
1 can Straw mushrooms, drained and cut in half
1 Tbsp Lime juice, plus more to taste
2 Tbsps Fish sauce, plus more to taste
1-2 Tbsps Brown sugar
2-3 Bird’s eye chilies (optional)
2 sprigs Coriander, chopped
1. Heat vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Toss in chicken pieces and cook until the meat changes color. Season with salt and white pepper.
2. Add galangal or Thai ginger, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass to the chicken. Turn heat to low, then cover pot to let the aromatics infuse with the chicken for about two minutes.
3. Pour in coconut milk and water then bring mixture to a boil over medium heat.
4. Add straw mushrooms and continue boiling for a few more minutes. Season with lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and chilies, if using.
5. Just before serving, strain the mixture to remove the lemongrass, kaffir, and galangal. Top with chopped coriander. Serve hot.
Recipe by Celine Clemente-Lichauco
Crazy for coconut-based dishes? These recipes are for you: