A new year calls for new opportunities and new lessons to learn, one such lesson you can pick up is cooking up a mean Arroz Negro to impress your hubby (or family and friends if you lack a hubby). Taste the bounties of the sea in one pan with this dish that will surely be a mainstay in your recipe repertoire this 2019.
ARROZ NEGRO (Black Paella)
Recipe by Montse Syyap
Photographed by Zac Moran
Makes 10-12 servings
½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
1 head Garlic, minced
2 Onions, chopped
2 gGreen bell peppers, diced
1 kilo Ripe red tomatoes, boiled for 1 minute, peeled and diced
1 cup White wine
3 pcs Fresh squid (large variety called lumot), peeled and sliced into rings (reserve squid ink from the fresh squid)
½ kilo Fresh shrimps
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 pinches Saffron threads (Azafran)
3 cups Rice (short grain variety such as Japanese rice)
5 ½ cups Chicken or fish stock
⅓ cup Frozen green peas, boiled and drained
3 Hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
1 Lemon, cut into wedges
- In a paellera or a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, followed by the onions. Next, sauté green peppers and then tomatoes.
- Pour in some white wine and bring mixture to a simmer. Allow alcohol to evaporate, about five minutes.
- Mix in the sliced squid and some of the shrimps. Reserve a few shrimps for topping. Sprinkle some saffron threads, salt, and pepper.
- Add the rice. Finally, add the chicken or fish stock and reserved squid ink then stir. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer, mixing well to distribute squid and shrimp evenly. This is the last time you should mix the paella.
- If using a large pot, transfer mixture to a paellera or a large baking dish. Cover top of paellera or baking dish completely with aluminum foil, sealing the edges.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30-45 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. You may want to have a wet or dry paella, but remember that it will dry up slightly as it cools.
- For the shrimp topping, season shrimps with salt. Pan-fry in little oil until cooked. When paella is done, arrange shrimps around the paella, sprinkle some green peas and top with hard cooked egg slices. Serve with garlic mayonnaise or ali oli, and some lemon wedges on the side.