A classic Filipino dish with a healthy twist
Tortang Giniling Frittata
Makes 6 servings
2 Tbsps Olive oil, divided
300g Ground beef sirloin
1 Tbsp Fish sauce
8 Eggs, beaten
½ cup Low-fat milk
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Black pepper
½ cup Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1/2 cup Carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup Tomatoes, chopped
1 cup Malunggay leaves
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a 12-inch oven-safe and non-stick skillet. Add the beef and cook until browned. Season with fish sauce and remove from the skillet. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs with milk in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrots and tomatoes until soft. Stir in the cooked beef and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the malunggay leaves and cook just until they turn bright green.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Stir gently with a rubber spatula and cook on low heat until the eggs are set on the bottom but not fully cooked on top.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until the frittata is cooked all the way through.
- Let the frittata completely cool before slicing into 6 wedges.