Gimme That Noodle Bowl
Spicy Chicken With Crispy Vermicelli
Makes 2 servings
1½ Tbsps Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Sriracha
1 Tbsp Lime juice
1 Tbsp Fish sauce
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
1 Bird’s eye chili, chopped
½ tsp Minced garlic
1 tsp Ginger juice
1 tsp Chopped cilantro
½ kilo Boneless chicken thighs, skin on
1. Combine the soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, chili, minced garlic, ginger
juice, and chopped cilantro in a bowl until well combined.
2. Pour marinade over the chicken thighs and massage the chicken with the marinade. Set aside to
chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. When ready, grill or pan fry the chicken over medium heat until cooked through. Set aside.
2 cups cooking oil
2 bundles Sapporo Long Kow Vermicelli
1 shallot, sliced
1. Heat cooking oil in a wok over medium heat. Test the oil by dropping one strand of noodle. If it puffs up immediately, the oil is ready.
2. Pull Sapporo Long Kow Vermicelli bundles apart to loosen strands. Drop the bundle into the oil and fry until the pieces puff up, 7-10 seconds. Carefully remove the crispy noodles with slotted tongs then set on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
3. Next deep-fry the shallots until until golden brown. Set aside.
3 Tbsps water
2 Tbsps fish sauce
1½ tsps white sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 bird’s eye chili (optional)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended. Set aside until dish is assembled.
1 lime, sliced into wedges
1 cucumber, sliced thinly
½ carrot, julienned, blanched
• A few sprigs of cilantro
Portion a bundle of fried vermicelli in a bowl. Top the noodles with the spicy chicken, fried shallots, slices of cucumber, sliced carrots, and a sprig of cilantro. Serve the dressing on the side.
Recipe by Adrian Chin
Photographed by Miguel Abesamis of Studio 100