Fill your table with big and bold Filipino flavours with this recipe!
Adobong Kangkong Fried Rice with Chicharon
Makes 7-8 servings
2 bundles Water spinach (kangkong)
3 Tbsps Cooking oil
2 heads Garlic, minced
1 cup Diced white onion
1 cup Soy sauce
¾ cup Vinegar
1 tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Chicken powder
1 tsp Ground black pepper
8 cups Steamed rice
½ -1 tsp Salt (optional)
¾ cup Chicharon, for topping
- Clean and trim kangkong, separate the leaves and the stems.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok over high heat then sauté garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add the kangkong stems. Continue sautéing for a minute until the kangkong stems becomes tender. Add the kangkong leaves and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, chicken powder, and black pepper. Do not stir. Let sauce simmer for three minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in rice. Sauté for five minutes until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if needed.
- Transfer rice to a serving plate and top with chicharon.