Rice has been the most staple part of our meals since forever. With many variations for different occasions, you’d think that rice has gone through every possible makeover. But you better think again because this time, white rice gets a healthy twist with hearty red beans and ground meat!
PUERTO RICAN RICE
Makes 4-5 servings
2 Tbsps Olive oil
100g Bacon, sliced
1 Large onion, chopped
¼ kilo Ground beef
½ Green bell pepper, minced
½ cup Tomato sauce
1 can Red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground oregano
¼ tsp Cumin powder
⅛ tsp Chili powder
3-4 cups Cooked white rice
- In a large sauté pan or wok, heat olive oil. Toss in sliced bacon and cook over low-medium heat until almost crisp.
- Next, add onions and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add ground beef and turn up heat. Continue to stir until beef gets cooked and oil comes out, about 5-7 minutes. Season beef with salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder.
- Pour in tomato sauce and cook for another 2 minutes until sauce turns orange in color.
- Add canned red beans and stir until heated through. Cover and simmer for another 8-10 minutes. Add some water if sauce dries up.
- Add cooked rice and mix until well-blended. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot on its own or together with grilled meat or roasted chicken with a fresh green salad or tomato-mango salsa on the side.
Recipe by Nina Daza-Puyat
Photographed by Zac Moran
Take a trip to Bean Town!