Going to the grocery shouldn’t be a choir! It should be a fun adventure where you would be inspired to come up with fantastic dishes for you and for your loved ones to enjoy. There’s the thrill of checking out the products, seeing what’s on sale, and even trying out the food samples along the food aisles! Make every grocery trip an exciting time. Start by making this thick, jam-packed sandwich with ingredients all available in Walter Mart.
MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
Makes 4 servings
1 Chicken breast
1-2 Tbsps Mayonnaise
12 Slices Bread, white or whole wheat, sides trimmed
4 slices Sweet or cooked ham
4 Cheese slices
4 slices Canadian or regular bacon, lightly fried
3-4 eggs, beaten
1( 100g) pack Panko or Japanese breadcrumbs
1 1/3 cup cooking oil
- Poach chicken breast in water seasoned with salt. Cool chicken then slice thinly. Lightly brush sliced chicken with mayonnaise for flavor and moisture. Set aside.
- Stack the ingredients in this order: bread, ham, cheese, bread, chicken slices, bacon, and bread. Trim the ham or bacon if bigger than the bread.
- Lightly compress to make it easier to handle then secure with a toothpick. Very quickly, dip all sides of the sandwich in the egg then dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Pour oil in a non-stick pan and set the heat to medium. Pan-fry the sandwich on each side until golden brown. Place the sandwich on kitchen towels to drain excess oil.
- Slice the sandwich in half, drizzle the cheese sauce on top and serve with extra cheese sauce on the side.
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp All-purpose flour
½ cup Water
½ cup Milk
½ cup Grated cheese (any regular cheese will do)
- In a small pan over low heat melt butter. Whisk in the flour and mix until it resembles a paste. Add water and milk, then stir with the grated cheese and continue whisking until consistency is achieved.
- Remove from heat and let cheese sauce cool. Serve cheese sauce with the sandwich.
Here are other simple but flavorful dishes to try out: