Rich Chocolate Mousse Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
1/3 cup Unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Granulated sugar
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Sifted all-purpose flour
- Combine the unsweetened chocolate and butter over simmering water (double boiler). Stir until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chocolate mixture and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating with each addition. Stir in the flour until combined.
- Pour the mixture in an 8-inch pan lined with parchment paper and bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan. Carefully unmold the cake by running a spatula around the edges and inverting the cake on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, place the cake inside an 8-inch removable bottom pan. Set aside.
1 cup Heavy cream
2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chilled heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Fresh Strawberries, to garnish
- Combine heavy cream, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and vanilla extract on top of a bowl over simmering water (double boiler). Stir until the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat two cups chilled cream with granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form and doubles in volume.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture until well-incorporated.
- Pour the mousse mixture into the cake-lined pan. Level the mousse with a spatula and chill overnight.
- Unmold the cake and top with fresh strawberries.
Recipe by Gel Salonga