With its golden pastry and hearty beef filling, this pie will surely satisfy!
Beef and Mushroom Pie
250g All-purpose flour
240g Cold diced butter
5g White wine vinegar
30g Ice water
400g Beef shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
150g Diced onions
125ml Red wine
160g Sliced fresh mushrooms
1 ltr Good quality beef stock
* Salt and pepper
- Make the pastry by placing the dough in a food processor with the sugar and salt. Add the ice cold butter and pulse until it comes together. Be careful not to overwork it.
- Once the butter has just been incorporated, add the ice cold water and vinegar and pulse until smooth.
- Remove from the processor. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Start making the filling by dusting the beef cubes in seasoned flour. Fry in oil until brown all over. Remove from the pot, reduce the heat, and add the onions and garlic. Sauté until cooked.
- Add the browned beef back to the pot. Add the red wine and reduce by more than half. Add the beef stock and sautéed mushrooms and simmer until beef is tender, and the sauce is nice and thick. Season with salt and pepper. Chill in the fridge.
- Roll out the chilled pastry to about 2-3 cm thickness, and cut out two large disks big enough to cover your pie plate. Place one pastry disk in the base making sure to tuck it into the corners.
- Spoon the meat filling inside the pie until full. Brush the other disk with egg wash and cover the pie, Trim off the excess pastry on the sides, and pinch the two together using your fingers or pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Brush with egg wash on top and bake at a preheated 180 deg C for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.