Healthy and satisfying, these baked apples are best eaten fresh out of the oven.
BAKED APPLES WITH NUTS
Recipe by Chef Jacqueline Alleje
Photographed by Ron Mendoza
Makes 6 servings
6 Medium-sized Fuji apples, washed and cored (reserve cores)
50g Chopped mixed nuts (almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, or pili nuts)
¼ cup Muscovado sugar
⅓ cup Milk
1 tsp Lemon zest
2-3 Tbsps Butter
¼ cup Sugar
¾ cup Water
Reserved apple cores
- Wash and core apples, reserving the cores. Leave enough room in the center of the apples for the stuffing.
- Prepare caramel sauce by boiling apple cores in water mixed with sugar in a saucepot. Simmer until apple pulp is soft and the flavor of the apples is extracted. Strain solids and reserve caramel-apple sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine mixed nuts with muscovado sugar,milk, lemon zest, and butter. Set aside.
- Fill cored apples with the nut filling. Place apples in a baking dish and pour caramel-apple sauce on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 ̊F. Place baking dish in the middle rack of the oven and bake apples for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with yogurt or ice cream.