This dish has the perfect balance of sweet and tangy!
Lemon Honey Chicken
2 Tbsps Soy sauce
3 Tbsps Chinese Shaoxing wine
2 tsps Sesame oil
Zest from 1 lemons
1/2 kilo Chicken thigh fillet (or breast fillet)
1 cup Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground pepper
1/2 – 3/4 cup Cooking oil for frying
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup Honey
1/2 cup Chicken stock
1 Tbsp Cooking oil
1 tsp Garlic
1-2 tsps Cornstarch slurry
Thin lemon slices, for garnish
Chopped spring onions, for garnish
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine egg, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil and zest of 1 lemon then set aside.
- Slice the boneless chicken fillet into strips then marinate in the egg mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch with salt and pepper. Drain marinated chicken and dredge pieces on both sides with cornstarch.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan and then fry chicken pieces until lightly golden. Drain on paper towels then set aside.
- For the sauce, combine the following ingredients in a bowl: lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, and chicken stock.
- In a saute pan, heat cooking oil and add garlic. Pour in lemon juice mixture and bring to a simmer. Check taste and add honey or lemon juice, according to your taste.
- Thicken sauce with cornstarch slurry. Just before serving, add fried chicken strips to the lemon-honey sauce and heat through.
- To serve, lay thinly sliced lemon and top with chicken pieces. Garnish with chopped spring onions and toasted sesame seeds.