You don’t need to go to the mall to indulge this fun meal. All you need is a hot plate and your choice of good-quality ingredients to enjoy a peppered lunch at home. This recipe can even be customized to your liking—use salmon, chicken, or lamb for protein and vegetables like spring onions, carrots, peas and beans to make it your own. Just don’t forget to sprinkle it with salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to bring everything together.
BEEF PEPPER FRIED RICE
Makes 4-5 servings
½ kilo Good-quality beef sirloin, sliced into strips
Salt and black pepper, to season
3 Tbsps Vegetable oil, divided
2 cups Leftover rice
4 cloves Garlic, finely minced
Liquid seasoning, to taste
2 Tbsps Butter, divided
1 cup Canned corn kernels, drained
Freshly ground black pepper, as topping
- Generously season beef with saltand black pepper then set aside.
- Bring a pan to medium heat.Place a tablespoon of butter and toss in thecorn kernels once melted. Set asideand keep warm.
- In the same pan, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil andsauté garlic until golden. Add inthe rice, season with some salt, andmix until heated through. Transfer toa serving bowl and keep warm.
- Add two tablespoons of oil in the same pan andbring to high heat. Fry beef strips inbatches for about 3-5 minutes per Season with liquid seasoningwhile frying.
- To assemble, place fried rice on a plate and arrange the beef stripsbeside it. Top with warm corn kernelsand an extra tablespoon of butter.Sprinkle with additional groundpepper and serve immediately.
Recipe and photo by Idda Aguilar
Thinking of other rice topping ideas? Try these: